Reviewed by: Kate M. Cronan, MD
- Are knives, forks, scissors, and other sharp tools in a drawer with a childproof latch?
- Have you installed a dishwasher lock so kids can’t open it while it’s running and can’t reach breakable dishes, knives, and other dangerous objects?
- Have you installed a stove lock and have knob protectors been placed on the stove knobs?
- Does your oven range have an anti-tip bracket installed?
- Are chairs and stepstools kept away from the stove?
- When cooking, are all pot handles on the stove turned inward or placed on back burners where kids can’t reach them?
- Are glass objects and appliances with sharp blades stored out of reach?
- Is the garbage can behind a cabinet door with a childproof latch?
- Are all appliances unplugged when not in use, with cords out of reach?
- Are all vitamin or medicine bottles tightly closed and stored in a high cabinet far from reach?
- Are matches and lighters stored in a locked cabinet?
- Is the cabinet under the sink free of cleaning supplies, bug sprays, dishwasher detergent, and dishwashing liquids? And are these supplies out of the reach of children?
- Are any bottles containing alcohol stored out of reach?
- Are all plastic garbage bags and sandwich bags out of reach?
- Are refrigerator magnets and other small objects out of reach?
- Are childproof latches installed on all cabinet doors?
- Is there a working fire extinguisher? Do family members know how to use it?
- Does your child’s highchair have a safety belt with a strap between the legs?
- Are tables free of tablecloths that could be grabbed?
- Are all unused outlets covered with safety plugs?
- Are all major electrical appliances grounded?
- Have cord holders been used to keep longer cords fastened against walls?
- Have you checked for and removed other electrical fire hazards, such as overloaded electrical sockets and electrical wires running under carpets?
- Are televisions, computers, and stereo equipment positioned against walls? Are they secured to the wall with brackets so they can’t tip forward?
- Do you unplug extension cords when they are not in use?
Heating & Cooling Elements
- Are all radiators and baseboard heaters covered with childproof screens if necessary?
- Have gas fireplaces been secured with a valve cover or key?
- Do all working fireplaces have a screen and other barriers in place when in use?
- Have chimneys been cleaned recently?
- Are all electric space heaters at least 3 feet (91 centimeters) from beds, curtains, or anything flammable?
Emergency Equipment & Numbers
- Do you have a list of emergency phone numbers on your cellphone and near each phone in your home?
- Are there fire extinguishers installed on every floor and in the kitchen? Do you know how to use them?
- Do you have an emergency ladder for the upper floors of your home?
- Are there smoke detectors on each floor of your home?
- Have smoke detectors been installed in the hallways between all bedrooms of your home?
- Have you tested all smoke detectors within the last month?
- Have you changed the batteries in the smoke detectors within the past 6 months?
- If you cook with or heat your home with natural gas or have an attached garage, have you installed a carbon monoxide detector in your home?